Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Football Experience - 25 Days and Counting

I really hate this. What is this, you ask? This is being sick. The sniffles, sore throat, pain in the ears, sneezing, general aches, etc. In short, a cold. But let me back up.

After my weight lifting, I had a couple days of event photography and photo editing that kept me from Thursday's workout session and Friday was spent editing and trying to get all the things done that I hadn't gotten done earlier in the week. On Saturday, I traveled to the Long Beach Health Expo and helped out a friend of mine who is a certified fitness instructor. I helped run her table, answered questions and then photographed her workout demo. After, we all went out to dinner. I had a great time

It wasn't until I was about halfway home that I started to feel a little bit of scratchiness in my throat and a low pressure pain in my ears. My immediate thought was "Oh crap, not now." I knew I just couldn't afford to be sick. But, sure enough, by Sunday morning I was in full blown cold mode. I was supposed to go back to the Health Expo and help out again but I had to call in and cancel. I felt awful for having to disappoint a friend.

It's now Tuesday and I have been cooped up in the house for the majority of the past three days. I'm not sick enough to be in bed, but I'm too sick to be working out. It's so frustrating.

You see, illness is what has stopped me in the past. I used it as an excuse, a crutch, a way to avoid continuing whatever fitness path I was on. Once derailed, I stayed derailed, often for months. I can't let that happen this time. I haven't even been to tryouts yet. So when I whine about my frustration and being sick, it comes from a real place; a place of fear.

I'm afraid of giving up this time, afraid of what it might mean for me mentally and physically. I want to be successful and I don't want to be sick!

I seem to handle injury better than illness. Below is a photo of the after effects of my run in with the Nautilus machine four days after the incident. I still finished the workout.

1 comment:

Big D said...

Climb back on that horse and ride! I know how you feel though. Injury on top of disability is hard for me to handle. I just have to recuperate so I can go back to dealing with life.