Monday, September 12, 2011

Football Experience - 32 Days and Counting

I went ahead and moved my football experience over here from Facebook notes. Here's my original post:

This morning I went to watch the tryouts for the Black Widows, a women's full-contact football team in Ventura. I went for several reasons: first, I wanted to see if this was something that I could even consider doing physically; second, I wanted to see if I would even like to play on a team with these ladies; and third, I wanted to see how the coaches interacted with everyone.

I was pleasantly surprised on all counts.

No drama is one of their mantras, one I can fully support. The capabilities of the players ranged and I knew that I'd be able to fit myself in there somewhere. I know I need to step up my physical fitness, but I also know that I can improve with practice. The players and potential players were all really nice and seemed very dedicated. And the coaches were great too.

I now know what to expect come October 15th (the next tryout). I know that I need to see how many push ups and sit ups I can do in a minute (each). I'll keep working on that. I need to start doing wind sprints. I haven't done one in over 20 years. I'll need passing and receiving practice (even if I never handle the ball in a game). I need to do many squats and lunges. I'll be in the gym lifting weights to build up my quads, chest and shoulders.

I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to be part of a team again. I realized today just how much I missed it.

Stay Tuned!


Back to today : Since watching tryouts on Saturday, I have been excited. I haven't been this jazzed about something athletic since I tried boxing (which only lasted a couple months before I got injured and basically wussed out) last year. My hope is that I will be able to stick with this, be part of a team, and make a lasting change in my physical fitness.

So I have 32 days until tryouts. Today I did some testing to see where I am physically. I did timed tests of sit ups and push ups. Wow, do I suck at this! While I was able to do 28 crunches in one minute, I didn't have the strength to do one full sit up! I did 17 push ups on my knees in one minute. I feel so...I don't know, a mix of emotions. I want to feel strong, but I don't. I feel sad, angry (at myself), a little depressed, but curiously optimistic. I want this and I feel I can do this. I have a month to do just that.

Tomorrow I join some of the players, recruits and one of the coaches for a conditioning workout. I'll report back...if I survive. Y'all know I will though!

Peace!

No comments: