Monday, July 25, 2005

Sailing Not Just for Skinny-Mini's

I am not a very nimble or acrobatic person. Once upon a time I could do the splits, a cartwheel and a back handspring. But that was many years ago and to attempt those tricks now would more than likely land me in the hospital.

But I can do many other things and sailing is one that I have moved from the CAN'T DO list to the CAN DO list.

Yep, I spent the late afternoon with a sailing instructor and 2 classmates learning how to rig a small sailboat and tack it about the harbor.

Let me clue you in on a little secret: I was the only female - I was the only fat person onboard - I was the only one with NO experience.

And I did it!

The instructor had me take the tiller last. I tacked about the harbor, learned about wind and proper names for the parts of the boat. There was this one snag when I almost hit a docked power boat, but it merely scraped the fender, no damage done.

And I docked the boat. By myself!

I was exhilarated! This was but the first day of my sailing lessons, I have 7 more days to go before I get certified to rent a sailboat.

It felt good to be in control, giving commands. A bit scary too, but mostly fun.

I can't wait for tomorrow!

I will post pictures as they become available.

No comments: